Monday, November 13, 2017

MORE PHOTOS FROM MY SISTER-IN-LAW - A TRIP TO SHANGHAI, CHINA

I am not posting my usual Monday recipe, so that I can share my sister-in-law's photos from her trip to Shanghai last week.  Her husband was on a five-day business trip and she accompanied him.  She kept in touch by texting when she could.   


First of all, an Afternoon Tea at the one of the hotels.


Another meal, not sure what everything is but it all looked excellent. I thought the dry ice effect underneath the dish of shrimp made a wonderful presentation. 








In the photo below, the large globe was a dessert.  We were told it was fried dough with air inside.  Not overly sweet.  


Here are photos she took while sight-seeing.






A few facts I read about.  Shanghai has a population of 24 million people as of 2014.  It is the most populated city in all of China.



It has the longest metro system in the world and beneath the city of Shanghai there are 365 miles of tunnels and track.  There are 364 stations spread throughout the city, connecting major attractions, making it easy for international visitors to navigate.


The dialect of Shanghai is known for its distinct pronunciation, which differs greatly from the standard Mandarin spoken in and around Beijing.  The Shanghai dialect or Shanghainese, is only 70 percent intelligible for standard Mandarin speakers.  However, Shanghai is such an international city, a large proportion of the locals will have a strong command of the English language.




In 2016 Shanghai was named the most attractive city for expats for the fourth time in six years by International Talent Magazine.  48,000 expats were polled and asked to rank their city on categories such as living environment and policies for foreign professionals.  Shanghai is home to over 170,000 expats as of 2015.




The best time to visit Shanghai is in the spring and Autumn.  Summers have temperatures in the 100 range, along with high humidity levels.  Winter temperatures hover around freezing and it is very damp.


If you are interested in souvenirs, Shanghai is famous for its Silk, Antiques, Porcelain, Chinese Painting and Calligraphy.  


Through an online search I learned that the name of Shanghai means "Above/Upon the Sea", which alludes to the city's location along the Yangtze River Delta near the South China Sea.


Early in its history, Shanghai was a fishing village.  In AD 1292 Yuan Dynasty established it as a country.  Presently it is the largest city in China and eighth largest in the world.


Shanghai cooking is sweeter than other areas in China, and they consume more sugar than any other part of China.


In 1986 the White Magnolia was adopted as the city flower.  The White Magnolia is among the few spring flowers in the Shanghai area.


It sounded like a great trip.  The following photos she was almost back home.







I hope you have enjoyed my sister-in-law's latest travels.  She always has my thanks for letting me share them.

35 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, unusual, and beautiful post! Her sky photos on the way home are glorious! And the food!!! I have never seen food like it. Like the huge globe, the dry ice, too artistic to even eat. The foggy pictures are beautiful. I feel like I have been on a short and wonderful exotic trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy you enjoyed them Ginny. It is always fun to see another part of the world.

      Delete
  2. Wow.
    As my partner is currently in China, though nowhere near Shanghai, I found these particularly interesting.
    Shudder at the air quality.
    Big thanks to both you and your sister-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, very interested to see these photos also your husbands.

      Delete
  3. yum and so elegantly displayed food

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise,
    Always enjoyable to see other lucky peoples trips, Shangai looks a really modern city and my what an underground system. Air quality looks somewhat dubious however.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I wondered about that. Last year the city unveiled its plans to battle the escalating air pollution crisis, which is good to hear as the World Health Organization named air pollution the world’s single biggest environmental health threat.

      Delete
  5. It's a place I always wanted to visit but we never got round to it. Sad! Thanks for sharing, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Valerie. I don’t think I will get there either, but I have enjoyed my sister-in-law’s photos tremendously.

      Delete
  6. You make it sound a great city to visit. Amazing stats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, It does sound an amazing city and I look forward to finding out more from my s-in-l.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Francisco, happy you enjoyed. A good week to you too :)

      Delete
  8. Interesting post Denise .... I'm drawn to the large dough ball....who would have thought of that.....perhaps an accident in the kitchen! Thanks to your sister-in-law.

    Happy November Denise,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruby, some of these culinary delights are happy accidents in the kitchen, so I have heard :) Happy November to you too :)

      Delete
  9. Loved this post a part of the world we have never been to. The closest is probably Hong Kong and that is a long way from Shanghai. All great photos, please thank your sister for giving us a virtual tour of such an interesting place.
    Hope you have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, Gregg told her about all these lovely comments, so your thanks will be passed on. I do love my armchair traveling :) You have a good week also.

      Delete
  10. Hello, what a interesting and exotic place to visit. The food looks delicious, love the views of the city and sky captures. Thanks for sharing! Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Eileen, and you are very welcome. Hope your day was a great one.

      Delete
  11. The photos were interesting to view, Denise, especially the food dishes and that unusual dessert. Shanghai has never been on my list of places to visit anytime in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see other parts of the world, even if it is only virtually :)

      Delete
  12. thanks to you and your SIL for the trip to China by chair... it is beautiful and the food is so pretty.. I love the dry ice shot. that is a lot of people to change countries and move to China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, it is always nice to see other parts of the world, even when we don't leave our own house.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful shots! I doubt I will ever get there, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William, I know what you mean, but as a wise person once said to me, never say never, you just never know :)

      Delete
  14. Interesting post, had no idea it was that big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One reason I love blogging and family and friends sending me photos when they travel, I always love learning about these places.

      Delete
  15. I love her photos. I visited Hong Kong and Macau in 2010, but never made it to Shanghai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hong Kong was Gregg's favorite overseas visit. He has always wanted to take me. I'm glad you got to see these exotic places.

      Delete
  16. Oh, my that would be a trip of a lifetime! So much to see and feel and do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So nice to see this selection of photographs.
    It looks an amazing place.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!